Kawau Island waste services
There are no public rubbish or recycling bins on Kawau island.
The existing large Molok bins located at Sandspit wharf which are currently being used for rubbish and recycling disposal can continue to be used up until the evening of 4 July 2021, and will be removed in early July 2021, with the space returned to grass.
From 5 July 2021 there will be a new and secure rubbish and recycling enclosure near Sandspit wharf for use by residents of Kawau Island only.
The new enclosure has a pin-code entry-gate and will contain bins inside for Kawau Island residents to place their household rubbish and recycling. The pin-code combination has been sent to Kawau Island ratepayers and the Kawau Island Residents and Ratepayers Association in June 2021.
The existing bins at Sandspit, intended for Kawau Island residents to dispose of their household waste, have often been overwhelmed by excessive amounts of rubbish and recycling, particularly over the summer months. Overflowing waste creates an unsightly mess and an increase in pests.
The excess rubbish and recycling at the existing bins often comes from illegal use of the bins by recreational boat users, local mainland residents or commercial operators. By changing to a coded entry enclosure, only residents/ratepayers of Kawau Island will be able to make use of this space, leading to a cleaner and safer area.
For visitors to Kawau Island and the Sandspit area, we encourage you to plan ahead, reduce your waste by choosing reusable containers and minimal packaging, and to take your rubbish and recycling away with you for disposal via your kerbside collection service.
If a kerbside collection is not available to you, or you have additional waste to dispose of, you will need to make arrangements with a private collector, or drop the waste to a local waste facility.
The local Community Recycling Centres (CRC) near Sandspit may accept drop offs of waste for disposal. Charges may apply.
- Lawrie Road CRC, 55 Lawrie Road, Snells Beach.
Opening hours – Thursday to Saturday 8:30am – 4pm and
Sunday 9:30am – 4pm
- Rustybrook Road CRC, 141 Rustybrook Road, Wellsford.
Opening hours – Wednesday and Saturday 10am – 2pm
- For opening hours and prices of these CRCs, visit mahurangiwastebusters.nz
What you need to know
- The existing large Molok bins that are currently being used for rubbish and recycling disposal at Sandspit can continue to be used up until the evening of 4 July 2021.
- From 5 July 2021 there will be a new rubbish and recycling enclosure near Sandspit wharf for use by residents of Kawau Island only.
- Excess rubbish and recycling, and larger items can be taken to your local Community Recycling Centre (CRC) - Lawrie Road CRC, Warkworth and/or Rustybrook Road CRC, Wellsford. For opening hours and prices of these CRCs, visit mahurangiwastebusters.nz
- Visitors to Kawau Island are encouraged to pack in and pack out, take any rubbish or recycling back home with them, and use their own kerbside rubbish and recycling collection for responsible disposal.
To report any issues with the enclosure or if you have any further queries please Contact us.